Monday, May 4, 2009

The Quiet American: 3 Stars



Based on a novel by Graham Greene this movie is set in Vietnam during the French Indochina War. Plot is very interesting and I found myself enjoying the movie more than I had expected. That is until Stephanie decided to spoil the movie for me! They had been discussing it in one of her classes and the professor told them they should watch this movie and gave away the twist when he told them about it. So when Stephanie told me she actually didn't know what she had done. Don't worry I wont spoil the movie for you! It made me laugh in a way because as I was leaving the theatre after watching Wolverine, there was a long line of people waiting to see it and I thought it would be funny to casually and loudly spoil the movie similar to an episode of the Simpsons where Homer (in a flashback) is leaving Star Wars and talking to someone as he passes the long line of people waiting to see the movie says "Who would have thought that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father?" Ok so I digress. The Quiet American is quite enjoyable. It is a murder mystery that has a love triangle woven into the story. The love triangle seemed to be a metaphor for the political situation going on in Vietnam. There are a few disturbing images due to war violence so those of you who are a bit squeamish may want to turn your head during those two scenes. Probably the best part of the movie would be Michael Caine and Brendan Fraser's performances. Michael Caine is an amazing actor which is no surprise but after watching the film I found myself saying "That Brendan Fraser can really act when he's not shooting at mummies or swinging through trees!" It was an added bonus to the already enjoyable movie. Very worthwhile hour and a half.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for not ruining it for the rest of us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still sorry for ruining the movie! I love you!

    ReplyDelete